Friday 22 April 2011

Feel bad spending so much money on something you want?

Most people save up money to get what they want. Some people feel good and happy while others feel bad of spending that money.

This post is for the people that feel bad when spending the money they've spend so long and hard to save up. I'm going to teach you how NOT to feel bad.

If spending a sum of money on something you've always wanted makes you feel bad (like me) its mostly because you hate seeing the money go away. After buying what you cant, your probably wondering in your head, "was it really worth it?", "do I really need this?", "why do I feel this way? I thought I really wanted it". These thoughts running through your mind can make you less happier then you imagined after purchasing the item. Before buying the item, while saving up for it, we think to ourselves, "how it might make us feel or look like after we get the it?", or "How would it impact or change our lives?" We save and save and save on everything to hit that target BUT when that target is hit, and its time to buy what you always wanted, it just doesn't feel right. Just "wanting" doesn't really cut it. We all need a reason.

For instance you want to get a macbook pro. That laptop costs much more than standard laptop we've seen in shops. The price tag on that item is a whooping $1199 at its cheapest and $2499 at its most! 

So how would it feel when you buy it? Let me tell you, without a reason, it doesn't feel that great. Sure it makes you happy but something is just not right. We've all had that feeling before at some point in our lives.

So how do I avoid that feeling?

The answer is relatively simple. Lets say you want a laptop for your studies in college. You ask your parents or save up for a long time. When you actually get the laptop you might feel bad on spending all that money on JUST a laptop. Well let me tell you, a laptop is not just a laptop. It has a reason as well.

Sometimes the reason you want something is not a "strong enough reason" to make you feel good when you buy an item. If you think, "I want to get a laptop because I need one for my studies" it might not be a strong enough reason to make you feel good when buying it. BUT if you think, "The laptop is my access portal to all the information I need throughout my course of study. Im paying this money for the information that this piece of technology will feed to my brain" then THIS would be a stronger reason to get one and feel better for spending that money.

Another example is buying a watch. Watches can be very cheap, reasonable, expensive or very expensive. People spend up to 7 digits for one watch!!! Most of us think, "what for?", "why would anyone buy such a thing?", "that person must have no where else to spend that money", "Such a waste", "I could have done a lot of things with that money".

I think not. I think that person had his/her own reason on spending THEIR money on a watch. BUT it must have been a STRONG reason. 
For example, if you think, "I want to get a watch that cost $10,000 because I like the looks of it" or "I want that watch because I want to showoff" then, when you spend that money, you might not feel that great or happy. BUT if you think, "I want to spend this much money on a watch because I treasure time and I understand that time is finite so I want to show how much I appreciate and treasure time" then THAT would be a strong reason for some people to get an expensive watch.

There are many many more examples on this topic but as you can see, everything has a reason. It only depends on whether you can find the right reason for yourself.

5 comments:

  1. WOW! Seriously? These are very simple things but yet so informative and all of that! Keep the work up. This blog deserves some sharing. I'll share it with the few friends I know. Sorry couldn't help more :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot for the comment and sharing. Glad you liked it:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just got a sweatshirt I've been wanting that is quite expensive and was thinking about returning it, but I decided to give a try to your advice first :) Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice post. I always had this guilty feeling whenever I spend money,that too on some one else. I'm kind of selfish guy, and don't really want to spend even a penny on others.

    Now I got some clarity on how to look at things rather than regretting for spending money away on others.

    Thanks again for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great for things that actually have important value.
    But how do I rationalize buying figurines that I want because I love the characters and want to rub my face against them crying over the show?

    ReplyDelete